Clay Minerals, Journal of the Mineralogical Society, is an international peer-rewieved open access journal of mineral sciences, published four times a year, including research papers about clays, clay minerals and related materials, natural or synthetic.
Clay Minerals is going to launch a special issue “Significance of Ion-Adsorption (IA) Type Clay Deposits as Potential Sources of Lanthanites (REE)+Y+Sc” which is already announced on the website of the journal, https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/clay-minerals.
Recently, IA type clays in which REE occurred adsorbed onto clay mineral surfaces is an emerging research topic due to its novelty and impactful research characteristics. Yet IA clay deposits have unexplored economic potential for REE as essential raw materials for high technology products.
Since you are a professional in this field, we cordially invite you to contribute high quality research articles and review articles to this special issue focusing on, but not limited to, the following topics:
1.The geology, origin and factors controlling the distribution (in time and space) of REE -IA clay deposits,
2. Their overall mineralogical, crystal- chemical and geochemical characteristics,
3. Geochemistry of groundwaters, effects of organic acids, plants and microbiol processes on the formation of REE-IA clay deposits (in the Critical Zone),
4. Paleoclimatologic implications of IA type of paleosols,
5. The mechanism(s) of adsorption processes of REE occurring on the solid surfaces of clay minerals (considering e.g. electrical double layer and ion-exchange mechanisms),
6. Metal mining and extraction methods of REE from IA clays.
Anticipated deadline is 31 December 2021.
Manuscripts should be submitted online at http://www.edmgr.com/clayminerals/, and please write that the working title “Clays and REE” so that we will consider it for this special issue of Clay Minerals.
Prof. Dr. Asuman Günal Türkmenoğlu
Guest Associate Editor
Middle East Technical University
Department of Geological Engineering